Re: (ET) Card 4 status, might work, hm.

On 12 Sep 2010 at 17:10, Chris Zach wrote:

> On 9/12/2010 12:58 AM, David Roden wrote:
> > Yikes.
>
> Oh come on, that's nothing really. And it's not Apollo era technology,
> it's Gemini era technology at best :-)

The Apollo program ran from 1963 to 1972.  So, yes, it's Apollo Era
technology.

> On a more serious note, the big advantage of the stock controller over
> an Altrax is that it *can* be repaired. Sure an Altrax works now, but in
> 20 years will it still be fix-able? Is it even fix-able, or is
> everything in there potted?

I acknowledged before that you can troubleshoot the GE controller with an
ohmmeter.  The problem I had with mine was that I had the ohmmeter out
every
second or third time I used the tractor, and I just got tired of it.

Now I have a tractor that works, period.  As a bonus, I can literally move
it by centimeters (millimeters in LL) when parking it in the garage.

There's no reason that a well designed PWM controller should be any less
reliable than the GE.  But if my Alltrax (or 4QD) goes bad, I can ship it
back to the folks who made it, and they'll fix it for me.  That hasn't
been
necessary; the Alltrax has been plugging along reliably for 5 years now
with
essentially no problems at all.  (The 4QD is still on the shelf; I haven't
gotten round to installing it in the R36.)

As far as working on it when it does finally need it, it's just a matter
of
having the right knowledge and training, or finding someone who does (if
not
the manufacturer).

If anybody on this list should be capable or working on a PWM controller,
I'd think it would be (among other folks) a guy who reverse-engineers and
rebuilds US Electricar inverters.   That would be you, Christopher.

> I have an Aprila Enjoy bike with motor and a really nice controller.
> However it flaked out, the controller is potted so my chances of fixing
> it are pretty much *zero* right now. And getting another controller is
> not going to happen...

Why not?  From what I understand, most Ebike parts are like PC parts -
pretty much interchangeable.  At worst, you should be able to get a new
compatible hub motor and controller as a set.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA