Re: (ET) Card 4 status, might work, hm.

On 9/12/2010 12:58 AM, David Roden wrote:
Yikes.

Oh come on, that's nothing really. And it's not Apollo era technology, it's Gemini era technology at best :-)

On a more serious note, the big advantage of the stock controller over an Altrax is that it *can* be repaired. Sure an Altrax works now, but in 20 years will it still be fix-able? Is it even fix-able, or is everything in there potted?

I have an Aprila Enjoy bike with motor and a really nice controller. However it flaked out, the controller is potted so my chances of fixing it are pretty much *zero* right now. And getting another controller is not going to happen...

I use my E20 constantly, and it almost never flakes out. Right now the big problem is that the high speeds are locked out and I bypassed that with little effort. Once I replace the transistors it should work fine again. The problems with the shunt are my doing; I didn't put it back together properly, used sub-rated lugs, and to be honest I was pulling close to 400a last winter when I was running the snowblower in 2 feet of snow uphill.

E15's are somewhat more complicated, however I wonder if the problem was that the capacitors for timing going into reverse are going into the fritz. In which case replacing those should bring the controller back into order for another 40 years.

At which time we will probably still be able to buy caps at Radio Shack.

Chris