Re: (ET) Shook deck apart, at least I have a welder....

John J Casey wrote:
Chris,
You may have lots of welding experience but, not for nothing (as we say in New York), if I was welding clean 1/8" metal to a clean deck my dual range 35-230A welder would be in Low Range, using 3/32" rod and 70 amps to start. Do a little tack to see if it holds. Can go as high as 80A with this rod...then must use 1/8" rod from 80A to appx 130A. On my WH deck the mounting points are bolted down and not welded.

Thank you. My welding skills are terrible (I used to braize a lot) and the last time I worked on the deck I set fire to the steel. But I have gotten a bit better.

The mount points are bolted here as well; I added plates underneath to provide additional strength. The deck literally has a square hole in it.

Cleaning the metal is going to be... fun. On the positive side I found a loose interconnect on the pack; that's why the batteries were out of sync. Back to normal now.

Chris