-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Christopher
Zach
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:46 PM
Cc: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Power of Elec-trak motors?

David Roden wrote:
> Interesting, but forgive me for saying that you're not quite answering
> the

> question.

> The OP wanted to know what rating of motor to use for drive and what for
> mowing.  However, you've given the TOTAL power USED by BOTH the drive
> and
> the accessories under certain conditions.

*Right*. That's why I included 3 numbers, one to drive and mow, one to
till, and one to do big things like blowing snow. Because if I put an
electric motor on my Craftsman 15.5hp, there's nothing preventing me
from buying a snowblower attachment and giving it a go.

However based on my Elec-trak experience and numbers, a 5hp electric
motor would probably not be able to handle the constant draws of blowing
2 feet of snow. That takes full power from the E20's main motor and full
power from the blower mower to achieve.

> And remember, you don't need a 12hp-rated motor go actually GET 12hp.
Peak
> power of an electric motor is several times its rated power.  I suspect a
2-
> 3 hp motor would be more than enough to drive a tractor.

True, but there is also a bit more drag on a normal garden tractor due
to things like the belt drives, indirectly-driven blades, and all the
pulleys for the clutches. So I'd err on a slightly larger size (5hp) to
more closely match the E20 and make it a happy tractor.

Technically you can get away with a 5-6hp gas motor on a normal tractor;
my guess is they put 15hp engines on them to allow the use of bigger
attachments and because it's not too much more difficult to make a
15.5hp single cylinder engine.

Chris