(ET) weeping battery?

<Sounds like a leaking post-to-cover seal>

This is interesting, as both posts and surrounding areas are covered with a very sticky black substance. I asked the golf cart place I got the battery from about it, when I got the battery, and was told they put it on to prevent corrosion. Must admit it's the first one of their batteries I've ever seen with it, though. :-O If I tried to put paper towels around the posts now, they'd be stuck fast to the top. :-)

I had already cleaned the top of the battery--exactly as you suggested--prior to this happening.

Thanks.

Thon