(ET) Weeping battery

Hi Thon,

I had one other thought.  If there was acid spilled on the top of the battery which dried out it could be dessicating the air, i.e., pulling water right out of the humid air.

I would thoroughly wash the outside of the battery, first with tap water, and then with a solution of baking soda in water, and then once more with tap water.  This should eliminate any acid on the outside of the battery.  (You may want to remove the filler caps and rinse them off too.)  Now completely dry the battery.

Check the battery every several hours.  If the problem has gone you know it was spilled acid.  If the problem comes back you should be able to see which cell is the problem.  Just make sure you check the battery often enough that the wetness doesn't have enough time to puddle over several cells.  You won't be able to see what cell is the trouble maker if that happens, and you'll have to start over.

Steve N.