Re: (ET) Battery question

On 16 Apr 2010 at 12:31, harry landis wrote:

> So what would happen if I were to add maybe 1/2 inch of extra battery
>  acid or water or a mixture so as to have a reserve to prevent drying
> out?

If AGM batteries are charged properly and carefully equalized
periodically,
they should begin to dry out as they reach the end of their service life.
In that case there's no point in adding water, though it can't hurt to
try.

Batteries that have been overcharged and have vented may benefit from
having
water added.

How do you know how much to add?  It requires a little foresight.  Weigh
the
battery when new and record the weight.  If the battery seems to be having
capacity problems later, weight it again and add just enough distilled
water
(evenly divided among the cells is about all you can do) to bring it back
up
to original weight.

I don't recommend adding electrolyte in any circumstance.  That can change
the concentration, leading to grid corrosion.

I definitely wouldn't add water (or anything) to a new AGM battery.  That
space you see above the plates is for managing the hydrogen that's evolved
as the battery is in absorption phase, not for extra free liquid.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA