Re: (ET) Battery question

As has been pointed out by some people, if it seems like a good idea, I will have them filled in Africa, not here because of shipping hazards. Distilled water and battery acid are available there.

Harry Landis

From: hlandis hotmail com
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:31:12 +0000
Subject: (ET) Battery question

Here's a question for the battery mavens. I am about to send a load of AGM batteries to Africa for use in solar systems. They are Power Battery Corp TC-1250C 140AH 12V. They happen to have large easily removeable cell plugs. If you remove the plugs, wou can easily see the tops of the plates and the glass mat, which is nice and damp, as it should be. There is a large empty space above the plates.
 Since they will hopefully be in use for a long time, under possibly not ideal conditions, there is a possibility that they may get overcharged and lose water. So what would happen if I were to add maybe 1/2 inch of extra battery acid or water or a mixture so as to have a reserve to prevent drying out? Is there some reason that would cause problems?

Thanks,

Harry Landis