(ET) Resistor element

I cleared the driveway a while back and parked my E12 in it's spot. Next time I came out, it wouldn't budge.

Narrowed it down today to a failure in the resistor element in the front. It was damaged in the past when it shorted into the front grill. Time finished the job and it burned clean through.

I patched it up temporarily by unwinding it another wrap and bolting it on a bit shorter...

Couple of questions:
1. Is it ok to run that way? My understanding is speed 1 is a bit faster this way, think that will hurt it?

2. Anyone have a replacement element, or equivalent part ideas?

Also:
White fiberous heat resistant slab the resistive element is wrapped around... Asbestos?

-- Alex
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"