Re: (ET) Robotrak

I am the proud owner of the original radio and video controlled Elec- trak. I think there are a few pics of it in action on the forum. I can't take credit for the idea or the execution which was done by a member of VEVA, the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association. I think he built it in the eighties or early 90's.

The motor controller is a Curtis 1204. There is a hobby aviation remote control with a receiver onboard the ET. The servos control the steering via an electric motor and a belt driven pulley attached to the steering column. The throttle is a combined servo motor and pot probably from the volume control of home stereo. The forward and reverse are simply relay controlled. The steering wheel is absent and has been replaced with an old joystick. Fly by wire! You can switch between manual and radio control via a toggle on the dash. Even the mower power can be switched on remotely. Power comes from three large format Optimas.

The last owner attached a large video camcorder on it with a transmitter to his computer and he'd mow his grass from his office. He also used the remote to do it from the porch swing. What else would a retired electrical engineer do for fun?

I was having serious noise issues with the remote which I have not solved yet so the radio control is not in use currently. She used to go nuts randomly. I think the controller battery was dead. I might try to get the radio control working again this spring if I have some time.

Marcus Sabathil
marcussab gmail com
Mobile: 604-374-1969
Site Q-39, 720 Gardner Lane.  Bowen Island BC. V0N 1G0