Re: (ET) Snowblower

steven1955 comcast net wrote:
I have to disagree with Christopher Zach on the snowblower, at least if they live in climates that tend to have wet snow. I have the 42 inch snowblower and weightbox that I used to use with my E15. I found that when the snow was wet, which is most of the time in Delaware, the chute clogged no matter how it was treated. Maybe painting it would have helped, but I decided not to do that because nothing helped in the way of waxing or spraying helped even for a short while. II didn't believe that repainting would have helped enough. I don't think any single stage snowblower works well with wet snow, electric or gas.

Ok, makes sense. In years 1-2, I tried using silicone spray, wax, and so forth over the rusted paint in the chute. No real luck. After using POR15 it doesn't clog much and when it does you can just push the clog out. No sticking, I wonder how frying pans would do with POR15.

This last snow was soupy (poured out of the chute), heavy as lead, 22 inches of it and I only clogged twice. Well, the third time I just rammed the tractor into a big pile of snow and forced the clog out. The first time I was going way too slow and the second time I was plowing into a snowbank and the snow had nowhere to go.

Durability is another thing: I took a look at the tiller underside (which I POR15'ed a few years back). Not a scratch. And that's with a tiller that can jam on rocks from time to time; even the rocks won't scratch it.

The other trick is to keep the blower *loaded*. Blow snow in D1. Blow it in D2 if you have to. It's the little trickle of snow that can cause buildup. Use the tractor itself as stage 2.

I managed to purchase a plow that did a much better job at wet snow removal than the snowblower ever did.

I have never used a plow, so I can't compare.

I have considered selling my snowblower and plow because they just don't get used, but I have had offers of only around $50, and for that price I'll just keep them in the shed. Maybe in the future I'll move to where I can put them to good use.

*nod* They seem to go for about $100. I'm not sure what I would do with a blade, and it would take up more limited space in the shed. That sweeper really takes up a lot of floor real estate. But at least it's dry.

CZ