Re: (ET) Snow's over, E20 is tired...

Graham Allan wrote:
So what would you say is the major factor in not getting stuck? Weight? I've tried either blowing or plowing my driveway with my E15 with dismal results. The driveway is probably around 30 degrees, downwards from the house, and when it comes time to reverse back up the hill one wheel will simply lose traction and spin. So I have given up for now (knowing mainly, I am missing something critical). I've had chains on the drive wheels but no extra weight, which is probably a big mis-step given the huge weight of blower or plow blade up front. But I was never convinced that weight alone would make the difference, given the open differential... hopefully I'm wrong on that?

I would say weight and chains. Not on the tires, behind the tires, that's why the weight box helps so much: It's located way aft of the wheels, and adds it's weight to the blower on the front to put more pressure on the tires.

How much do you have in the weight box (besides the additional 120 lbs of lead)?

That's it. Technically it's 6 Hawker Genesis 26ah batteries at 22lbs each. I can stack three more on there for 180 pounds, but 6 seems to be enough.

Now one problem is if I put BB600's into the box I would only have 3.5*30=105 pounds in there. Which is still not too bad and was enough to do the job a few years ago (granted with less snow)

As for the drive, you need to make a turn-around at the bottom and use that to reverse the tractor's direction. I think the blower is better than the plow since the blower lifts the snow up and sends it forward while the plow appears to compact the snow into an ice-wall.

But most definitely add some weight in a box on the back. I think the best thing would be a tiller :-)

Chris