Re: (ET) How do your batteries die?

I've given my T105s about the same care (minimal but decent) and with some abuse (too much snowblowing a few times), and they are still going after 8 years or more. They are close to being done for, but they all have succumbed pretty much in concert. One did spring a leak and was replaced last year. So I'm guessing it's the brand or batch of batteries (assuming you aren't running the tractor for hours every day). From what I hear, EVs get several years from a pack that is cycled about every day, so an ET that is run once a week or so ought to get 8-10 years.

- SteveS

Darryl McMahon wrote:
I am speaking only from my own experience. I have heard from others that they have had good experience with USB. I have not. I do not recommend them to others. According to the charging recommendations from USB, you need a higher charging voltage (2.583 Volts per Cell) than is recommended by other manufacturers. In my experience with floodies, they should be gassing audibly before reaching 2.5 volts per cell. 3rd party chargers do not supply the required voltage, as this would be in the over-charging range for any other battery manufacturer.

Shortest-lived batteries I have ever had in an EV - about 15 months before I saw my first 4-volter, and another in the 16-module pack expired in the same manner each week or two thereafter until I gave up. Based on SG readings, in each case, the centre cell failed, apparently shorted. My dealings with USB were curt and disappointing.

My E12 doesn't see a lot of use most of the year. Use depends on construction projects, gardening and snow removal needs. My batteries get minimal care (a good charger, checking water levels 2-3 times a year, only distilled water, and staying alert to problems to try to catch them early). However, based on the Trojans I had in my last pack, and the Exides I have now, I fully expect 10 years of use from a pack in this tractor.

Darryl

tbamc wrote:
I bought a complete set of U.S. Battery batteries about 5 years ago. Only 1 of those 6 is still alive. After talking to the U.S. B. people, and this list, I think I should have been charging them harder/longer, but I'm not sure that relates to my question:

Every one of the dead batteries read about 4v when it expired, and couldn't be charged to much over 4v. This implies to me that a cell shorted. I would have expected the more likely scenario would be for each battery to just get weaker, i.e. still charge to above 6v but not hold a charge for as long.

Am I thinking about this correctly and is my experience typical, or not?

Thanks.

Thon