(ET) How do your batteries die?

I bought a complete set of U.S. Battery batteries about 5 years ago. Only 1 of those 6 is still alive. After talking to the U.S. B. people, and this list, I think I should have been charging them harder/longer, but I'm not sure that relates to my question:

Every one of the dead batteries read about 4v when it expired, and couldn't be charged to much over 4v. This implies to me that a cell shorted. I would have expected the more likely scenario would be for each battery to just get weaker, i.e. still charge to above 6v but not hold a charge for as long.

Am I thinking about this correctly and is my experience typical, or not?

Thanks.

Thon