To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:21 AM
Subject: (ET) How do your batteries die?

I bought a complete set of U.S. Battery batteries about 5 years ago. Only 1 of those 6 is still alive. After talking to the U.S. B. people, and this list, I think I should have been charging them harder/longer, but I'm not sure that relates to my question:

Every one of the dead batteries read about 4v when it expired, and couldn't be charged to much over 4v. This implies to me that a cell shorted. I would have expected the more likely scenario would be for each battery to just get weaker, i.e. still charge to above 6v but not hold a charge for as long.

Am I thinking about this correctly and is my experience typical, or not?

Thanks.

Thon

  Hi Thon;

Yur experience IS typical. But ask yurself ; How much did you USE yur Badd-eries? How many miles DID you get out of them, 20k is a decent range, or lifespan. I went through a pack of T105's in about 20k mikes a set of T-145's a bit shorter? But batteries have a perverse anamosity; One dies, and the others think, in their lead lined minds" I'm outta here, too!"In that you got 5 years is pretty good, but you MUST have lost abourt all your range long BEFORE now? Did you water them with store bough Distilled water, keep them charged, etc? It's pretty normal for Newbees to kill off one or two sets as the learning curve develops? Don't feel bad. Hell, the care and feeding of Batteries isn't rocket science. They are like Sheeple; Like to be kept clean, watered and charged. Not much else can you really do!Oh don't run them DEAD, like car won't move, etc?

   YMMV!

    Bob