    From: tbamc <tbamc gbta net>
    Subject: (ET) How do your batteries die?
    To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
    Date: Sunday, December 6, 2009, 1:21 AM

    I bought a complete set of U.S. Battery batteries about 5 years
ago. Only 1 of those 6 is still alive. After talking to the U.S. B. people, and this list, I think I should have been charging
    them harder/longer, but I'm not sure that relates to my question:

    Every one of the dead batteries read about 4v when it expired, and
    couldn't be charged to much over 4v.  This implies to me that a
    cell shorted.  I would have expected the more likely scenario
    would be for each battery to just get weaker, i.e. still charge to
    above 6v but not hold a charge for as long.

    Am I thinking about this correctly and is my experience typical,
    or not?

    Thanks.

    Thon