Re: (ET) Chargers (and winch)

I would not recommend towing cars with a winch. If you end up going downhill, you don't want the car moving faster than you are and free to catch up.

Right now, we are using my E12 to move project cars fairly regularly because there is a good grade on our driveway. Our arrangement is two old dismounted car tires hooked on the corners of the plow blade that are *gently* applied to the near bumper of the vehicle, and then a lash-up to maintain contact between the vehicles for control both uphill and down.

As I understand it, winches are rated for what they can lift, not pull on level ground. In a previous life, I have nearly flipped a very large farm tractor trying to pull a stump. Not recommended. With a solid stump, a 2000 lb. winch and an ET, I see the ET coming out on the losing end of that arrangement.

If it comes down to it, I may just use a manual boat winch, though I would really like the convenience of lifting and lowering the tiller with a switch.

Darryl

David Brandt wrote:
With the modular chargers I am familiar with, they can be left
plugged in, which with an ET would probably mean for a week or so.
that should be plenty long to acount for any imbalance, provided the
winch is used at 24V.

I certainly agree on the winch overkill factor, but if I should
"need" to pull a stump, I can (would probably drag the tractor across
the yard instead;-).  I guess I could tow cars around, though.  That
would make a statement with the neighbors.  I came to the decision
when I found out that the METI guys also used an ATV winch.

Since they are all so overpowered, I went with the least expensive
that would fit - got a new gorilla 2000 lb. winch off ebay.  It's
waterproof, comes with a sealed switch (just took it off the
handlebar mount and mounted it to the dash) and a contactor/circuit
breaker that is one unit.  also comes with a roller fairlead.  I
considered the cheaper harbor freight ones, but they were too big and
were offset too far to mount nicely.

I mounted the fairlead inside the bumper (a perfect fit) and cut the
hole larger.  this also required trimming some of the lift arm that
sticks out from the bumper.

I ran the cable over the top of the arm to serve as a lift, but you
can run it straight out as well, by removing the hook, moving the
cable, and putting the hook back on.  The bumper limits the angle you
can pull at, but that should not be a problem.  I can still pull it
through at about a 30 degree angle without the cable contacting the
bumper's edge.

The only problems are 1) that you need to use some spacers between
the frame and winch mounting points (I used a couple of old car seat
tracks), and if you center the cable with the opening, then the motor
sticks out past the edge of the frame a bit (about 1" - the wheels
don't rub or anything, it just looks odd).  The motor terminals are
on the end that sticks out, but that's no biggie if you just cover
them up with terminal protectors and secure the wires well.

David Brandt