Re: (ET) Chargers (and winch)

With the modular chargers I am familiar with, they can be left plugged in,
which with an ET would probably mean for a week or so.  that should be
plenty long to acount for any imbalance, provided the winch is used at 24V.

I certainly agree on the winch overkill factor, but if I should "need" to
pull a stump, I can (would probably drag the tractor across the yard
instead;-).  I guess I could tow cars around, though.  That would make a
statement with the neighbors.  I came to the decision when I found out
that the METI guys also used an ATV winch.

Since they are all so overpowered, I went with the least expensive that
would fit - got a new gorilla 2000 lb. winch off ebay.  It's waterproof,
comes with a sealed switch (just took it off the handlebar mount and
mounted it to the dash) and a contactor/circuit breaker that is one unit.
also comes with a roller fairlead.  I considered the cheaper harbor
freight ones, but they were too big and were offset too far to mount
nicely.

I mounted the fairlead inside the bumper (a perfect fit) and cut the hole
larger.  this also required trimming some of the lift arm that sticks out
from the bumper.

I ran the cable over the top of the arm to serve as a lift, but you can
run it straight out as well, by removing the hook, moving the cable, and
putting the hook back on.  The bumper limits the angle you can pull at,
but that should not be a problem.  I can still pull it through at about a
30 degree angle without the cable contacting the bumper's edge.

The only problems are 1) that you need to use some spacers between the
frame and winch mounting points (I used a couple of old car seat tracks),
and if you center the cable with the opening, then the motor sticks out
past the edge of the frame a bit (about 1" - the wheels don't rub or
anything, it just looks odd).  The motor terminals are on the end that
sticks out, but that's no biggie if you just cover them up with terminal
protectors and secure the wires well.

David Brandt