Re: (ET) E-15 first mow! And questions (manuals, charging, fuel level, mowing)

Ain't it nice?

- User's manual - should be on the ET site - I'll see if I have it somewhere.

- Charging - they changed the decal a few times; I forget what the letters mean. The best way to determine full charge is a hygrometer. An ok way is to measure open-circuit voltage, but you need to wait 6 hours or so after end of charge to get a correct reading. Check the specs on the battery you are using to find the right value. What batteries are you using?

- Fuel gauge - If you drop into the 'E' are you are pulling your batteries way down - not good. There is information there in reading the meter with and without load, but basically it's most meaningful under load. When first starting up it may sag down, but under steady running it shoudl be reading at the top of 'E" or better. What is your amp gauge reading? It should not be over half way when mowing (except right at start and if mowing very heavy grass or uphill). A high reading with normal grass and level indicates a problem (bad bearing etc).

- I like the rear discharge as I do not bag clippings. If you mow tall and/or wet grass it can easily clump from the side chute. If the vendors or another member doesn't have a side cover for you, I could cobble one together - it's a simple sheet metal piece. Others - does the internal baffle change when converting - I forget.

- Mower deck crack - Common problem. You should fix it. Remove parts, clean it up, weld it, reinforce it, paint it with POR-15.

- Steve

john rieffel wrote:
Hi Trakkers,

I had a great first mow today on my brand-new (to me) E-15.    I had a
few quick questions for the group:

- I have the "Service and Training Manual", which has been terrific,
but haven't been able to find the E-15 User's Manual (found the E-12
one tho).  Am I missing an obvious link?

- Regarding charging: (Right now I'm running a 3x12 setup.).  How do I
know when the batteries are "fully" charged?  When initiating a
charge, what should I turn the charge knob to?  The letters have long
since faded.

- Regarding "fuel gauge":  After about 10 minutes of use, the meter
was halfway between E and F with no motors running, but once I kick it
into gear and turn on the PTO it drops to the left of the E.   Should
remaining charge be measured under load or no load?

- Regarding Mowing: my grass was fairly long, and big clumps of cut
grass kept coming out of the side discharge chute.  Is this standard
operation for long grass?  (go easy on me here, I'm a city boy, and
have only mown 3 times in my life).  From what I understand, there's a
plate I can put on the side discharge chute to convert the mower to
rear discharge (which I would prefer).   Where do I find one, and
would this lead to more, or less, clumping?

- The mower deck is beginning to rust through and crack next to one of
the lift points.   Any advice on repairing?

regards,
jr