Re: (ET) E-15 first mow! And questions (manuals, charging, fuel level, mowing)

Glad to hear you've resurrected another ET!

With the meter dropping that low, your batteries may not be up to the
task. And continuing to use them when that low will just shorten their
lives. At some point do you plan to put in the 6 x 6-volt golf cart
batteries? If you have a voltmeter, rig it up to measure total pack
voltage as you mow. Under load should stay above around 27 volts (brief
dips a few volts lower on startup). If the voltage is staying high, the
meter on the tractor may be bad. If your voltmeter also shows low
numbers, the batteries are too weak.

For charging, I'll take a random guess of about 1/3 of the way around
(120 degrees) for your smaller pack. Without knowing more about the
batteries it is hard to say.

For the mower deck, I have the end panels available. But... you'd also
need to change the baffle (the triple "U" shaped thing underneath). I
might have a rear-discharge baffle, but I'd have to check. If you leave
the side discharge style baffle in place and cap the side chute, there
is no place for the clippings to fly out.

And do repair the deck ASAP. Those cracks will quickly grow, the support
arm will rip out, and it will be much harder to repair. I have some
little steel plates available with the two bolt holes that are good for
reinforcing that area. This is a common failure as the decks age. (and
yes, I still have the new deck shells in the pipeline... just too many
projects at the moment).

Jim Coate
*The Electric Tractor Store*
http://www.ElectricTractorStore.com

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

john rieffel wrote:
Hi Trakkers,

I had a great first mow today on my brand-new (to me) E-15.    I had a
few quick questions for the group:

- I have the "Service and Training Manual", which has been terrific,
but haven't been able to find the E-15 User's Manual (found the E-12
one tho).  Am I missing an obvious link?

- Regarding charging: (Right now I'm running a 3x12 setup.).  How do I
know when the batteries are "fully" charged?  When initiating a
charge, what should I turn the charge knob to?  The letters have long
since faded.

- Regarding "fuel gauge":  After about 10 minutes of use, the meter
was halfway between E and F with no motors running, but once I kick it
into gear and turn on the PTO it drops to the left of the E.   Should
remaining charge be measured under load or no load?

- Regarding Mowing: my grass was fairly long, and big clumps of cut
grass kept coming out of the side discharge chute.  Is this standard
operation for long grass?  (go easy on me here, I'm a city boy, and
have only mown 3 times in my life).  From what I understand, there's a
plate I can put on the side discharge chute to convert the mower to
rear discharge (which I would prefer).   Where do I find one, and
would this lead to more, or less, clumping?

- The mower deck is beginning to rust through and crack next to one of
the lift points.   Any advice on repairing?