-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of David Roden
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:10 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Elec Reliability Poll

On 2 Aug 2009 at 14:01, Reo43 aol com wrote:

>  I always advise people  that they should know how to use a
> volt-ohm-meter and understand circuits, or  they shouldn't buy an
> electric tractor.

Or be sure you have access to someone who does.

I've known of folks who bought Comuta-Car electric cars with zero
understanding of them.  Some ended up "lost at sea" and eventually sold
the cars at a loss.  But in a few cases they found someone to care for
the cars and happily used them for many years.  One I know of convinced
the town electrician to work on his C-car.  Another found an interested
and friendly industrial vehicle mechanic.

I'd say that if you have basic electrical chops - meaning you know what
a complete circuit is; what capacitance, inductance, and resistance do;
how a diode behaves; and so on - you should be able to catch on to an ET
with no problem.

If you don't have that, do some calling around to see who you can find
who might be able to give you a hand.  Contact the local golf course.
Ask large battery suppliers.  Check with motor shops.  Call a forklift
distributor.
That sort of thing.  Your best bet will usually be old-timers at well-
established businesses.