(ET) (Fwd) Re: Ariens AMP Mower

On 14 May 2009 at 11:28, David Roden wrote:

> However, an electronic motor controller is effectively a continuously
> variable transmission without the inefficiency of hydro drive.  The
cost
> of
> a small DC motor controller adequate for a garden tractor is certainly
> not
> prohibitive, and much less today than it was 30-35 years ago.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the product description, the Ariens mower uses
a brushless DC motor (a three phase armature with permanent magnets on the
rotor and hall sensors for sequencing). It can't run without a controller
so variable speed and reversing are available at the outset with no
significant additional cost. The torque vs. speed trade-off could be
managed through dual windings in the armature or switching from WYE to
DELTA configurations, but given the limited needs of a riding lawnmower,
even this seems unecessary. I don't understand why the hydrostat is
there.

Ken Muldrew.
 O_/ \    Ken Muldrew, PhD      | Voice: (403) 220-5976      |   <\__/7
 <\__  \  Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax:   (403) 270-0617      |     | /
  "\ L  | University of Calgary | kmuldrew ucalgary ca       |   / /
               Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny          L/