Re: (ET) Ariens AMP Mower

A couple of people have replied to me off-list pointing out that the mower uses 48-volt batteries, so in fact they should be in parallel.

OK, now the schematic makes sense, but the choice of batteries seems weird. It's series/parallel charging on a single charger. I see that going badly over time, unless these are remarkably well matched batteries and cells.

Darryl

Darryl McMahon wrote:
Actually, I'm a bit puzzled by the schematic.

Looking at http://www.mowersdirect.com/manuals/Amp-Man.pdf
on page 21, check out the battery pack area.

I thought I was pretty comfortable with schematics, but as I read this
one, the five 12-volt batteries are connected in parallel.  Makes me
wonder why they use a 48-volt charger.

The schematics for the ETs have been a god-send over the years.  Unless
I'm really not getting how the AMP works, I think this schematic would
be more trouble than help.

Darryl McMahon

RJ Kanary <rjkanary nauticom net> wrote:

The other big '?' that I have is...............why a hydrostat transaxle? You have a finite amount of energy stored on board, and you

use a drive system that turns a large amount of that precious energy directly into heat.I don't get it.

RJ

Theoldcars aol com wrote:
Depends on how well the deck mows. An hour can cover a lot of
ground.
One could always get a better charger and cut down the time to recharge. AGM batteries do not charge well in series. The AGM batteries in this are not going to last long. n a message dated 5/13/2009 11:01:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, engrdude yahoo com writes:

    Anyone seen one of these yet?

    http://www.ampbyariens.com/

    An hour of cut time does not seem like a lot.

Darryl McMahon
Water Savers toilet fill diverters aren't sexy, but they save water and your money.
http://www.econogics.com/WaterSaver/