Re: (ET) Elec-Trak.org site...

Chris, notice in my description that NO mention of BRAKE application was made.You can end up with a rapid descent with the traction motor in regen braking and STILL have the wheels sliding.Wanna come and play in MY back yard ? <VBG>

If you want, I can give you the coordinates for Google Earth or Microsoft's Virtual Earth so that you can watch how rapidly the elevation changes on my property.

RJ

Christopher Zach wrote:
RJ Kanary wrote:
Take your tractor down a slick enough, steep enough grade in 'L' or 'LL' and you can observe both rear wheels sliding as the tractor gains speed.At this point, it matters not how many brakes are attached where, if they are only present on the rear wheels.Seriously, try this experiment some time. You will approach hillside operation with an increased level of caution.

I think the reason on this one is because when you cease braking with the motor in regen mode (due to wheel slip), braking effort from the motor drops to zero due to the collapse of the armature current which releases the wheel. Then as the wheels start to move the motor applies braking again. Almost like a little ABS system of sorts.

The brake brake will lock up a wheel.

Small frame tractor operators can seek even larger thrills by using three twelve volt batteries in the front compartment only. :)

My criteria for braking is that the tractor must be able to stop going down my driveway (30+ degree angle) while free-wheeling (simulates dropping it in neutral) with the blower and a weight box (100lbs in box, blower slightly off ground) with chains attached.

The chains make the whole issue of rotating tires 1000% moot: They will not slip even on ice (done this). With the brakes adjusted, the tractor can stop before it gets to the bottom of the hill.

In summer I mow the grass up the same hill. If the grass is wet you simply don't go up it. If you have to go down you use the driveway. Even when wet, the E20 will stop with the deck on it and down without skidding.

If the grass is dry you could skid and rip the grass apart. However the tractor will still stop by the bottom.

So I think the E20 brakes are adequate when properly adjusted. Problem is most people don't adjust them and the results are bad.

Replacing the brake with a self-adjusting disc brake might be a good idea, one might also try building a hydraulic brake system.

Chris