Re: (ET) Overheating Problem

If only the one terminal is getting hot, you probably have either a poor
connection between clamp and battery post, or between wire and clamp.  I'd
say the latter is more likely.

Place a load on the battery (jack up the wheels and run the drive motor,
turn on the mower, etc.).  Use a digital multimeter set on a low voltage
scale (start at 5 volts or so and go down, to protect your meter).

Touch one probe of the meter to the center of the battery post, and the
other to the battery clamp.  Measure the voltage drop.  You probably will
need to use the millivolt range of the meter to read it (at least I hope
so!).  Repeat, this time with one probe on the clamp and the other on the
clamp at the OTHER end of the battery jumper (or wherever the wire goes).

Repeat this procedure with the other wires that are not overheating to get
baseline measurement.

When you see a much larger voltage drop across a connection than a similar
connection elsewhere, you've found the faulty connection with excessive
resistance and voltage drop.  That's what causes the heating.

Or, if the wire is one of the battery interconnects, just replace it.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA