Re: (ET) Recommendations for modern replacements for the electronics?

On 2 Jul 2008 at 15:21, Ken Olum wrote:

> My understanding is that batteries will last longer floated at 13.2V
> (for a 12V battery) than not connected and periodically recharged.

I don't think this is the case.  A float charge will pretty well ruin a
battery in 3-5 years whether it's used or not; just look at what it does
UPS batteries.  The continual overcharge results in positive grid
corrosion.

Your mileage may vary.  There is almost as much art as science to battery
maintenance. ;-)

> In any case, it creates a phantom load, which perhaps you don't want.

I don't know what you mean by this.  Can you explain?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA