Re: (ET) Mower deck cut quality

My (completely rebuilt) front mount deck delivers a very good cut backwards (as has been often noted here). Travelling forwards, my opinion has been that it delivers an acceptable cut, but not as good as my former John Deere ICE with mulch kit.

The front mount eliminates the tire "mash down" problems inherent in mid-mount decks, and is great for getting under things. However the blades are not mulching, nor high-lift. I find that the non-mulch means I have to cut more often if I don't want to leave lots of grass lying around. And the lack of lift means more "stragglers" as I tend to try to cut tall anyway. I haven't yet tried Gator Blades, but maybe someday.

All of the above notwithstanding, I have felt that the inconveniences of the ET (lower power and cut quality) are outweighed by the advantages (no point-source pollution, little noise, front-mount, and it's utility for my other uses).

Life's full of trade-offs, ain't it?

Steve