(ET) Mower deck cut quality

I am starting to wonder about the mower deck motors and wiring. If the speed is not great enough then it will not lift the grass up. I think some one said that it you overheat the PM deck motors the magnet material will start to lose its strength. Running the motors at low voltage in tall wet grass WILL cause then to overheat. (Higher voltage is bad too).

Let’s see these things are over 30 year old and how many times have the thermal cut out tripped on the motors?  That is if the thermal cut out still works or has not been by-passed.

 Bottom line is you got to inspect measure and replace any thing that is not up to spec.

 Any one have an idea how to measure shaft speed?

 My guess is AMP draw to shaft speed will tell you if you have a bad motor. The three motors should draw about the same just spinning the blades in clear air. Looks like a job for my Amp meter this weekend. I will post my findings.

   Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen

Indiana University, UITS, Networks

Bloomington, In. 47408-7378