(ET) battery drainage question

I went to use the tractor after maybe 2 months since I last needed it.    I had left it plugged in using a Landis controller.     My guess from watching the fuel gauge was it was doing a 5 minute charge every other day.    I had not heard it charging that much.

When I went to hook up a trailer, I notice a huge pile of dried battery acid on the trailer hitch extender (little metal bar to move the trailer hitch out from under the tractor).

I checked the batteries and 3 cells in 3 different batteries were a little low, the plates were just beginning to clear the water.   I added a little more water.    I know I put a little too much water in a few cells the last time I filled it.

Is this leakage common?    Anything I can do about it?