From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu <elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy
tufts edu>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tue Apr 08 18:27:47 2008
Subject: (ET) Grinding sound found

Transmission was low on oil. I backed the tractor onto a set of ramps,
opened the rear oil port, could not feel oil with my finger. Great.

Dropped the oil. Typical mud-colored soup. Some metal dust, but no
shavings or chunks. After draining I filled it with 64oz of Lucas 85/140
gear oil. With the rear on ramps, 64 goes in easy. Then I closed it up,
much quieter.

I think it's leaking from the pulley seal. Oh goodie, another project.
I'll work on that a bit later unless someone knows of an additive that
can stop the leak. I then took it in the back with the tiller, and
promptly got it stuck in the mud.

Fortunately I have an engine hoist, tree, and chain. But I really should
get a real winch on the front...

Chris