(ET) Transmission noises, odd

So it's spring, which means time to remove the snowblower and hook up the tiller. Did some tilling in the yard, the NiCD batteries just hold up exceptionally well.

However while tilling I started to hear a grinding sound from the motor/transmission. It looks like it is coming from the tranny. I'll try jacking it up and replacing the transmission oil, but does anyone else have any ideas what could cause rumbling in the transmission, and if it can be replaced?

Chris