Re: (ET) Elec-trak Digest, Vol 6, Issue 45 - AC tractor DC implements ?

On 28 Feb 2008 at 13:53, JohnR wrote:

> Also, I think buying a few large, high capacity batteries costs less
> than many
> low capacity batteries - as many of the AC systems do - with
> multi-hundred
> volt battery packs.

Many AC drives for road EVs do use higher voltages, but there's no reason
they have to.  Usually, they designer only goes with high voltage that so
they can use off-the-shelf industrial 3-phase AC induction motors.  If you
custom-wind the motor, you can use the same voltages used in DC drives.
Of
course, this costs more.

I think I've read that most of the newer AC forklift drives are relatively
low voltage (72v?), but I'm not 100% sure.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA