Re: (ET) Frozen mower wheels

I just want to close the loop on this thread.  Yesterday I mounted the mower wheel assembly to a saw horse and heated the casing around the wheel pin with an ordinary propane torch.  After a few minutes of constant heat, the wheel simply fell out of the wheel mount onto the floor without any coaxing with a hammer!  While heating the mount, the nylon bushing melted.  Some of it squirted out the top, and some out the bottom.  I wiped it off the best I could as it seeped out in order to allow more to come out.  I'm not sure if this was necessary or not.  I only had time to do one of the three frozen mower wheels that I have, but I'm confident the others will free up just as easily.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I'm new to this website and am impressed with the number of responses I received.  I'm sure you'll hear more from me as my restoration proceeds!

From: Ralph & Elaine Vogan <ralphgv talkamerica net>
A little known fact about nylon.  It will absorb liquids.  When it does it will expand, as much as 10%.  Its like putting water on a dry sponge.
That will just make it tighter on the shaft.  Dammed if you do,dammed if you don't!   Hot, then cold, then hot again, but not to hot.  then try to
turn it,.if it will turn use some solvent and get it apart quickly.  before the solvent can soak to the nylon.

Ralph Vogan

paul mitchell2007 comcast net wrote:
I've tried hammering them with a wood block in between the spindle and hammer, but that hasn't worked.  I'll try heat, but I'm concerned with melting the nylon bushings.  I may also try soaking them in PB Blasters for several days.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

--- Begin Message ---