Re: (ET) Motor out

Oops! A mistake.....remove carriage bolts from front left corner and from rear RIGHT corner.
Sorry, Jack

On Jan 20, 2008, at 2:29 PM, John J Casey wrote:

Some may have figured this out but for anyone who has not here's an
easy way to drop/install a traction motor.  At the hardware store get
two lengths of 1/4" threaded rod, 6 washers, 6 nuts.  With two pieces
of scrap wood drill a 1/4" hole in each.  The traction motor is held
in place with 4 carriage bolts, remove one from the front left corner
and a second bolt from the rear left corner.  Insert the threaded rods
from the footwell through the motor mounting bracket under the tractor
using two washers and two nuts on each rod, securing each rod so that
most of it, 11" or so, sticks up in the footwell.  Use the remaining
washers and nuts and install the scrap wood as a handle on each rod.
Remove the two remaining carriage bolts from the motor bracket.....
the motor is now supported by the threaded rods and can easily be
lowered to ground by pulling up on the scrap handles and releasing the
nuts.   I hurt a shoulder taking a 45lb e12 motor out of my tractor
just using my hands, but before swapping it for a 70lb e20 motor I
figured out the threaded rod solution.  Necessity is the mother of
invention.
Cheers, Jack