Re: (ET) More motor questions for EM

That's what I'm thinking. If the chain breaks, it keeps the motor from spinning up and self destructing. It's a small wire, so I don't think it plays any major power role. I think I'll try it first with the shunt field and see how it goes, then I can experiment!

SteveS

Rob Brockway wrote:
I think the shunt winding is simply a speed limiting winding. If possible I would not use it and it will allow it to operate at much high speeds with light loads.

*/SteveS <stevesgroups verizon net>/* wrote:

    Hope this isn't drifting off-topic, but since it has been quiet on
    the
    list recently, perhaps you all will indulge me.

    I obtained a rolling chassis for my electric motorcycle (EM) project.
    From previous input from the list and doing some research on my
    own, I
    decided to try the snowblower motor first. (GE 5BC49JB142A)

    I took mine out and pulled it apart to see what shape it was in
    and to
    see exactly how it is configured. It looks to be a long compound
    motor,
    meaning the shunt winding is applied across the combined armature and
    series windings. It's not obvious to me if it's cumulative or
    differential (aiding or opposing the series field). It is a much
    smaller
    wire gauge.

    My main question at point is what to do about a controller? I
    imagine I
    should be using a series controller, but what do I do with the shunt
    winding? I'm thinking to just disconnect it. I imagine the shunt
    field
    is there mostly to prevent runaway with no load.

    Thoughts?

    SteveS