To: "elec-trak" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:13 PM
Subject: (ET) More motor questions for EM

Hope this isn't drifting off-topic, but since it has been quiet on the
list recently, perhaps you all will indulge me.

I obtained a rolling chassis for my electric motorcycle (EM) project.
From previous input from the list and doing some research on my own, I
decided to try the snowblower motor first. (GE 5BC49JB142A)

I took mine out and pulled it apart to see what shape it was in and to
see exactly how it is configured. It looks to be a long compound motor,
meaning the shunt winding is applied across the combined armature and
series windings. It's not obvious to me if it's cumulative or
differential (aiding or opposing the series field). It is a much smaller
wire gauge.

My main question at point is what to do about a controller?  I imagine I
should be using a series controller, but what do I do with the shunt
winding? I'm thinking to just disconnect it. I imagine the shunt field
is there mostly to prevent runaway with no load.

Thoughts?

SteveS