Re: (ET) E20 motor at 48V

So - I guess you're telling me these motors aren't way over-designed? Didn't seem like a big increase, but when you put it terms of 33% over, then it becomes pretty clear. Do you think they could be pushed at all? - maybe 42 volts?

Oh and thanks for the info!

- SteveS

Konstanty, Walter (GE Indust, ConsInd) wrote:
Steve,
  Without looking at the design info, that's 33% over voltage.

Gain - run faster, more acceleration

Pain - will draw more amps for higher performance, overspeed, insulation
degradation, commutation distress, running at top speed will probably
cause banding to fail if motor doesn't flashover first, transmission
damage if run too fast....basically toast.
  DC Motors are designed using voltage and top speed as key parameters.
The number of armature conductors provides torque and commutator bars
are limited by volts per bar (between bars)......at higher voltage that
is pushed past the limit, the motor can't "commutate" the current and
blam-o....

....Walt
(ex-motor designer - can you tell?)