Re: (ET) Big day: E-15 back in service.

Max Hall wrote:
Max here; yep, I'm using a series controller.
And YEAH, David Roden, the Curtis wasn't designed for this application. The one SPST switch I had lying around and used for F/R has a center-off position. If you have it in the off position (and thus have no field current) and hit the "throttle," you can push big current through the armature winding unopposed but for what small resistance those fat windings have (and maybe a little inductance, though the Curtis ramps the current). Not good. Your suggestion is right on; first I should have a two-position SPST, and second, I should make it so the first TWITCH of the pedal switches on the field current relay, THEN any further pedal displacement engages the main contactors and then current from the Curtis. (Then, of course, the shut-off will happen in the reverse order... first PWM current goes away, then the contactors open, then the field winding relay opens.)

Actually the E20's motor includes a small compensation field in series with the armature. It's why the motor runs faster in reverse with less torque.

Personally I like the 8 speed contactor controller. Works pretty well actually.

Chris