Re: (ET) Ok now that the Dust is Cleared.

This is a tough one.  Because my family's vacation/group house is "off grid" 24-7-365 but occupied by someone year round, the use of a generator charging batteries makes sense.  In a generator only system, there are time at night when the draw is almost nothing, but the generator is still consuming almost as much fuel as if running at full load.  By using the generator to charge batteries, the load can vary widely, and a set of "intelligent" inverter/chargers can jump on and off line to match the required power draw.  In my system, the inverters call for the generator when the batteries hit a low voltage threshhold.  The generator is sized to both charge the batteries and run the house at the same time.  The house is switched (automatically by the inverters) to generator power, the batteries get a charge, the generator is shut off and the house goes back to battery power.  If there is little house load, the batteries charge fast.  If there is a lot of house load (daytime, evening), the batteries charge slowly.  This system has 12kw worth of intelligent inverters ( 6 x 2k Outbacks) and a 40 kw diesel generator set.

However, if your need is for emergency standby power only, I'd be tempted to use only a standby generator and, if you wish, an inverter with your tractors.  Why?  You can go without electricity at night, even in the winter.  Use a wood stove, or get up during the night and run the generator for an hour to get the pipes warm again.  You could also use your e-traks to run an inverter.  I guess if the load wasn't too big for the cable and connectors, you could cable them in parallel so that you would have 36 volts and a whole bunch of amp hours of capacity, or you could just use a single e-trak till it was exhausted and then attach the inverter to the next.  While you are running your home appliances on the generator, you could also use the on board etrak charger to charge them one or two at a time.

Where I live full time (100% on grid) , I have to run a shallow well pump (1/2 hp) , the fan and 3 circulators (1/4 hp ea) on my oil burner, and my refrigerator.  I also run some lights and the TV.  I do not run the standby generator continuously.  I get the house warm, the water pressure up, and the "flushing buckets" filled, and then shut it down for a few hours.  Repeat cycle.  10 gallons of gas goes a long way with this type of use.  Heat is augmented by a wood stove.  We have battery radios, candles, lanterns, etc.  I have an electric stove, and I won't try to size a generator for that, but I have a single burner gas camping stove, the wood stove, and a gas BBQ, so I have cooking options.

I don't like to run much on the generator since they are prone to spikes and "dirty" sine waves which are tough on appliances.  If you have big electric motors that start under load, investigate replacing them with capacitor start units to reduce startup loads which could exceed the capacity of your system.

My home standby generator is 5000 watts full duty cycle, which is more than enough for my needs.  I'm not sure how much capacity is used when charging a etrak battery set, but one might want to go higher than 5000 watts.  I am just guessing, but it sounds like 5000 watts is probably plenty for the loads you have listed.

In short, I would not try to size a generator set to charge all your etraks at the same time.  IGiven that you already own a bunch of tractors, it may make sense to think about getting a 36 volt inverter big enough to run your short list of stuff and charging a single ET from the standby generator while also running the house directly.  I would NOT think about using a generator to only charge the ETs while they in turn ran an inverter.  I doubt if the battery chargers are big enough or efficient enough to have this make sense.

Finally, I must confess I am neither an electrician or electrical engineer.  But I saw an article or letter-to-the-editor in "Home Power" in the last few months which described the usual components for off-grid, on-grid, and pure standby (emergency) systems.  I believe the article suggested that the use of battery banks in an  emergency system is not justified, because the batteries will eventually fail even if the system is never used, and they are way more expensive to amortize that any fuel they might save on a purely standby basis.  However, since you already have the tractors, the logic is somewhat different.

By the way, look at their web site for info on larger inverters. http://www.homepower.com/