Re: (ET) More Power Inverters

Our hearts go out to all those troubled by the weather. We have been close
enough to know about the loss of power and impossible cold. A number of
years ago my wife and I found it essential to prepare for the loss of
electric power to our home in an extended emergency.  Our home was heated
by
baseboard electric panels in each room. Our water came from a deep well in
the back yard with an electric pump 126 feet down in the well. Without
electric power we had no lights, heat or water.  There was no telephone
because the ice killed the lines. The fireplace in our den produced more
smoke than heat.

First, we started with the installation of a Regency Propane gas heater in
the fireplace.  I anchored myself with ropes on the chimney and extended
the
stainless flexible flue pipe down to my wife in the den. The Regency was
very heavy but the two of us lifted it from a skid to the hearth location.
The gas man connected and tested the stove.  The Regency has a pilot light
and will heat OK without the distribution fan. The heater is controlled by
battery operated Skytech thermostat mounted on the wall.

Next, our home phone telephone number was transferred to a cell phone with
Bluetooth capability. A Phone Lab Dock-N-Talk cell phone station now rings
our home phones just like always. The cell phone is more reliable than the
landline.

A power transfer switch was installed below the power meter to switch to a
10,000 watt gasoline powered generator out under cover behind the shed. We
dug a trench underground to the shed and housed the cable in conduit to the
connection panel in the shed. The power company placed their lock on the
switch and we added a small padlock on the lever for safety. When power
fails we switch off all heaters and large load before switching to the
generator.  The generator runs for as long as necessary to fill our water
tank, heat water and cook food. A small red light is connected to the power
company side of the switch to indicate that power has returned.  This is
strictly a manually operated system. The generator adds weekly tasks to
check the starter battery, engine oil, gasoline supply and test runs.

My next door neighbor said with tears in his eyes that he had never
experienced such kindness as when my wife and I came to his door with two 5
gallon water cans full of fresh well water. He had not flushed the toilets
for days.  He later purchased an automatic power backup for his home.