Re: (ET) E15 Alltrax died

At 05:44 PM 12/3/2007 -0500, Pieter Litchfield wrote:
If you look at the ET schematics in the "homeowners manual", the 3rd wire on the mower plug is used to provide a shorting circuit as you suspected so that the blades will brake.

I have an electric hydraulic bucket loader on my E15, and before I convert to Alltrax, I'd like to see an answer to this question too since I think the big motor on the bucket ( someone said its an e-8 drive motor!) might be able to really throw a spike when I power it up or shut it off with the same electic PTO that the blower uses.

Powering it up shouldn't be an issue (other than possible spikes from the contactor coil). Turning off might be. Truthfully though I've seen more problems from unsuppressed contactors than interrupted motors.

The other interesting problem I have had is becoming too aggressive about shifting into reverse while just rolling (coasting, not under power) forward. This causes the main circuit breaker to pop, and has fried the reversing contactor a couple of times. My main reason to go to an Alltrax controller is to fix this problem by using the power ramp down and up functions of that controller. Then maybe I'll be able to forget coming to a COMPLETE stop before reversing - not easy to do with a full bucket and one miserable little disk pad at times.

I would think there should be some way to apply diodes to solve the problem. However, I am NOT an engineer or an electrician, so I don't know jack. I do know the E-15 motor has a diode on it, apparently for this purpose.

Hmmm, you might be able to interlock to prevent applying power if the motor is moving over a certain speed in the wrong direction but I don't see what you could do once you had power applied. Once you get that far you will get a large torque surge.

Robert

Another sign of the end of civilization, our technical magazines are getting chatty
From an EETimes product descriptions 2006/08/09
".... systems that can sample gobs of inputs simultaneously"
Now just what is the technical definition for gobs again?
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/