Re: (ET) E15 Alltrax died

If you look at the ET schematics in the "homeowners manual", the 3rd wire on the mower plug is used to provide a shorting circuit as you suspected so that the blades will brake.

I have an electric hydraulic bucket loader on my E15, and before I convert to Alltrax, I'd like to see an answer to this question too since I think the big motor on the bucket ( someone said its an e-8 drive motor!) might be able to really throw a spike when I power it up or shut it off with the same electic PTO that the blower uses.

The other interesting problem I have had is becoming too aggressive about shifting into reverse while just rolling (coasting, not under power) forward. This causes the main circuit breaker to pop, and has fried the reversing contactor a couple of times. My main reason to go to an Alltrax controller is to fix this problem by using the power ramp down and up functions of that controller. Then maybe I'll be able to forget coming to a COMPLETE stop before reversing - not easy to do with a full bucket and one miserable little disk pad at times.

I would think there should be some way to apply diodes to solve the problem. However, I am NOT an engineer or an electrician, so I don't know jack. I do know the E-15 motor has a diode on it, apparently for this purpose.

At 02:46 PM 12/3/2007, subscriptions aeolusdevelopment com wrote:
John Jeno
>Question is, does the snow thrower generate a voltage spike when
>shutdown?

If all that happens to shut down the blower is a contactor opening then
absolutely.  Where it goes and if it is big enough to kill the controller
are separate questions.

>The power cord only has 2 wires hooked up to the drive, should the third
>be used ala the mower drive?

The third is presumably being used to brake the mower deck by shorting the
PM motor.  Snow blowers are not usually seen as having the same hazard.
Short sighted IMHO.  Maybe it come of hearing of farm machinery accidents
but I've a lot of respect for any implement that draws material in to chew
it up.

> Should there be a clamping diode in use?

I'd put one on just on general principle.  But back it up by shorting the
motor.  The diode takes the transient while the contactor closes across the
motor and then the contactor takes the brunt of the load.

I am assuming it's a PM motor.

> Thanks to whoever knows.

I'm just working from first principles.

>This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
>named or intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do
>not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose or
>store or copy the information in any medium. Any unauthorized
>disclosure, use or storage is prohibited and might be unlawful.

That's rather amusing.

Robert