Re: (ET) How NOT to check your batteries...

I used to dabble in digital electronics myself, back in college in
*cough*92*cough*, but I'm wayyyy out of practice.  Still, I think a
compact
enough unit could be made to handle this.  I just don't think I could
relearn
enough to get it done in a timely manner myself.

There are really 3 things to be aware of, IMHO...

(1) The original:  If the voltage dips below the setpoint, activate the
charger.

(2) Timer & voltage detection:  If the voltage does not rise or even
*drops*
over a set period of time, stop the charge and make an LED blink
incessantly,
or just leave a simple 2-pin jumper block for something the buyer can
insert
later, whether it be an LED, a buzzer, or what have you.  Activation would
simply be to send voltage to jumper "xyz" in a repeating-on/off pattern.
Stopping this action would be to reset the unit by simply removing power
to the
controller.  Hopefully, upon restoring power, the situation will be
corrected,
and the unit will detect normal voltage or it will be desireable to
activate
the charger once again (such as after adding water to the batteries).  By
the
way, it bears noting that the way I have my controller wired is not
direct-to-
batteries, but rather to honor the power cutoff switch on the side of the
tractor.  I accomplished this by tapping into the leads that go to the 36V
power accessory outlet on the left, under side of the tractor.  That way,
if
I've tripped the cutoff, the controller will lose power, and it cannot
activate
the charger.  I've often used this to reset the controller, based on the
below
condition (charge starts, cutoff power, correct situation, restore cutoff
switch, charger stays off)...

(3) Not mentioned yet:  If the voltage dips below the setpoint, wait a few
seconds and check again; if it's still below, then activate the charger.
This
simple, check-pause-check-activate/ignore logic would prevent the charger
from
activating for brief power drops.  I've often had these when the ET is in
the
garage, plugged in, and I activate some feature like the front lift.  The
current controller activates instantaneously after the power dips.

If it would save you time, effort, money, etc., I'd be perfectly willing
build the circuitry myself, if you provided the parts list, diagram &
instructions (for a fee?).

--
Jeremy Gagliardi
E20