Re: (ET) Tired of lead acid batteries.

Without any particular goals of what needs improving it is hard to say. Possible improvements I can think of are:

- sealed batteries (no watering needed, no corrosion issues)
- longer range, longer running time
- more weight for more traction (tractor mode)
- less weight to protect nice lawns (in mower mode)
- longer calendar life
- better winter performance (ie wide operating temperature range)
- etc.

I'd start with the first one and look at "no maintenance" batteries, so something that is sealed and doesn't need to be watered.

This means either gell-cells or AGMs, which are still lead acid, but fancier and more costly especially by the time you include the new charger required. Or Lithium Ion (eg Valence) if cost is no object and you just want to spend lots of money. However, LiIon may require the addition of lead weights for traction so kinda silly.

Perry Cain wrote:
Ok, I want some other kind of battery in my tractor.

What is AVAILABLE?
1. If price is no object.
2. If price is an object.

Thanks to all that would help me with this intellectual exploration.

Perry Cain

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's