Re: (ET) kill-a-watt

et jpjt net wrote:
 > Now my question is, why is the OK4U and its equivalent Trace MS100 no
longer available in the US?  Did the UL or utilities pressure it out of the
market?  Are there alternatives?

I'm not exactly sure. I think it had to do with the fact that the
anti-islanding specifications were changed around NEC 98 or NEC 2001.
Normally you have to have a disconnect between the DC source and the
input to the inverter to meet code; obviously you can't have a
disconnect on every panel.

Which is a screaming shame to be honest: The concept of having each solar panel equipped with it's own MPPT tracking controller would allow you to deploy an array in a mixed-shade configuration and still be ensured of max power possible from every panel.

If you want to do something like this nowadays you can spend $350+ for a used OK4U (they pop up on Ebay sometimes) or just get yourself a Sunny Boy 700 for $1,000 or so. Three OK4's would cost the SB, and the SB is a much more modern bit of technology.

Myself, I have two strings of 75 watt panels hooked up to a Sunny boy 1800 inverter. Works pretty well actually; I like it.

Chris

Joel