Re: (ET) Battery Question

On 14 Dec 2006 at 17:41, Raymon Ellis wrote:

> A few minutes ago the voltage of the pack had drifted down to 38.6
> volts a level which would trigger the Landis controller if connected.

That sounds a bit high to me.

A fully charged flooded battery will read 6.3 to 6.35 volts open circuit
at
full charge (this is with the charger disconnected at least overnight).
An
AGM or gel battery is apt to have a higher voltage, 6.4 to 6.45 volts.
Some
flooded batteries might be that high; check your manufacturer's
specifications for more information.

However, most batteries' fully-charged voltage falls as they age.  A
really
good charging or maintaining strategy should take that into account.

I don't own a Landis box.  From the description it appears to be a battery
maintainer, not a charge controller, and that's something I don't need.  I
base my comments here on the published descriptions of the device.

While it uses an interesting algorithm, the Landis box doesn't conform to
any battery manufacturer's charging instructions, and I don't think it
should be used for routine charging.  IMO a battery dealer would be
entirely
within his rights to deny warranty coverage if one were used that way.  I
realize that some people here use them that way and claim success.  Great!

As they say, YMMV.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Human history more and more becomes a race between education
and catastrophe.

                  -- H G Wells