-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of David C Robie
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:41 PM
To: raymonellis adelphia net; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) GE-20 Transmission Oil Specs

Your tractor slows down in the cold likely not due to heavy tranny oil, but
due to the battery's loss of efficiency in the cold.  Don't worry about
that, even during the coldest part of winter even with a bit of reduced
power we can still run our snowblowers and snowplows at full efficiency.

As to the tranny oil.  I use std 85W gear lube with a little 'lucas'
(similar to STP or motor honey but better) in it.  You can drain the tranny
using the square head drain plug on the tranny bottom.  Have her on the
level while draining.I like to leave the plug out overnite, make sure all
of
the old stuff is outa there.  I can't see using an expensive multigrade
which the second number only says it don't thin out when real hot.  These
trannies never even get warm.  But perhaps that's all they're making now.

To fill park her nose down on a hill.  That fill plug was put in there
too low.   You can jack the rear end up instead but be very careful if
you do.  These heavy things fall on you you're gonna get hurt bad.  I tie
wire my funnel to the seat so I don't have to  hold it while filling.

Add the lucas to the lube oil and mix it up before putting in the tractor.
That thick gooey stuff put in alone takes near forever to go down a funnel
or tube or anything.  Don't use a lot - I use bout 1/4 of the bottle.

Be ready with plug in hand to plug her up immediately when you pull the
funnel out.  The object is to get the lube level higher then the plug is
and
you won't if you let it run out.

Don't get any onya.  Have paper towels and gas or kero handy to clean up
with.  Lady will scream if you get any of it in the house.  I got some
lucas
mix on a doorknob once took a while to get over that.

Good gooey greasy yucky luck

Dave
Weymouth MA