Re: (ET) GE-20 Transmission Oil Specs

I too have changed my transmission/rear end fluid as follows:

First I jacked up the rear end to get the tires off the ground.
Then I added 1 QT of kerosene to the trannie and put it into LL gear.
Placed a brick on the accellerator and let it wash around.  This thinned
out the original oil and cleaned the inside of the trannie real well.  I
made sure to drain the old oil over a good strong clean magnet to see what
kind of metal filings/gear teeth chips could be found... Luckily very
little.

HINT:  Place your new oil into a scalding warm bucket of water for a
couple of hours prior to filling.  It helps the oil flow a lot!

When all was empty I didn't reinstalled the lower plug to with new oil.
Instead I took a tube from the new oil to a tapered rubber plug stuck into
the lower drain hole.  Then I took a small medical vacuum pump and piped
it to the upper "fill" hole.  When turned on it pulls the oil up and into
the trannie with almost no mess.

Good luck!

Robert W. Klein II
SSGN Deputy Technical Manager AWS/AWSS