Re: (ET) name names: battery chargers

You generally don't get really smart chargers for under $100.  Besides the
greater cost of good components and design, high quality chargers don't
sell
in large volumes, so they don't benefit from economy of scale, so they're
expensive, so they don't sell well ... etc.

Dunno specifically about the Schumacher you were looking at.  I checked a
simpler Schumacher out in a store a few months ago and I thought I was
looking at a parody of the Schumachers I used to use many years ago.  It
was
cheap, cheap, cheap.  Looked like thin stamped sheet metal, slightly
ragged
looking silk screened legends on the panel, and of course on the back it
said "Made in China."  Even the box it came in looked flimsy.  Bleah.

So I'm not sure, but my guess is that your $50 Schumacher has taken that
route to low cost.  Might be OK, or it might end up being a disposable
unit.
 Has anyone here been using one of these more than a couple of years?

For cheap chargers I recommend the ones made by Cliplight of Canada.
They're sold (or used to be) in several stores, particularly NAPA.  The
ones
I have are in vertical-format heavy plastic cases with vent slots at the
top
and bottom, and have a big thick molded handle at the top.  They're plain
linear chargers and they aren't very smart (basic cycle-dropping charge
control at 14.3 and 14.8 volts), but I've been using 3 to charge the 12v
gel
batteries in my ET for about 8 years.

NAPA doesn't seem to sell quite the same one I have any more, but the 85-
7512 and 85-437 models seem to have similar capabilities.  There's one on
Ebay too which looks markedly nicer than mine - look at # 120046542370.

To try to answer Daniel's question, his charger sounds like it's similar
mine, at least in principle.  The 2 amp setting is just a lower-voltage
tap
on the transformer.  I find that it doesn't do much, and never use it.
Assuming Daniel's is not the very bottom of the line manual charger, it
will
cycle between 0 amps and about 6 amps as the charge winds down.  Should be
OK for nearly any lead battery of U-1 size or larger.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

     The difference between the US and the EU is that they're a
     post-industrial democratic society, and we're a post-democratic
     industrial society.  Think about it:  Where else in the first
     world is the party currently in power also allowed to manage
     elections? What other nation manufactures more weapons and war?

                             -- Anonymous