Re: (ET) name names: battery chargers

When a wet cell battery is left alone for a long time, it develops a high
internal resistance (sulfation is one cause, another is striation, a
situation wher the heavier acid goes to the bottom, leaving low
concentration acid in the rest of the battery.  This means that it will
not accept anything but a very low charge maybe 1/10 (or even less) of
it's normal 'acceptance' at the lower voltage of a trickle charger (your
low rate charger).   The higher voltage of your higher setting however,
overcame this resistance, got the acid at the bottom warm , able to rise
and mix in to where the rest of the plates were and likely flaked off or
put back into solution some of the sulfate that insulated the lead.  This
is unusual, your battery at least wasn't hanging around outdoors a couple
years without a charge like many of my 'free' ones were.

Have done a lot of things with junkyard car batteries.  Homemade
windpower,  early photovltaics,  primitive friction drive Etrikes etc.
To get a good batteries without spending money for em,  tried those
'amazing' chemicals,  pulsing type desulfators etc and even though
getting some back to some function, have come to the conclusion that it
is better to throw out an old car battery that has, through chicanery of
any type, come back to life rather than to trust it to always start your
car.  Especially in winter.   Or in my case several years back, to trust
6 of em which tested real good on a load tester in a GE8 to mow the whole
lawn, or 3 of em to run my shop stereo all day.
     The car gets a brand new battery when it needs it.  For that, I
favor the Wal Mart heavy duty yellow ones. The solar and Etracks run fine
on recycled 'low range' castoff full size Evehicle 6V 105 Trojan golfcart
types which do not have the inherent problems of ' built to throw away
every 3 yrs' 12V car batteries.  Even after doing 25, 000 miles in a
fullsize evehicle (where round trip  range has dropped to 1/2 - 3/4 of
new batteries) these 6V EV batteries with lighter duties imposed on em
then in previous service,  are as good as gold.

Dave
Weymouth MA